The Perks Of Being A Non-Drinker
We are constantly provided with an endless stream of reasons to drink. They include the following:
Drinking lets you unwind and relax.
Drinking makes you cool.
Drinking makes you a fun person.
Drinking makes you interesting.
Drinking makes you happier.
Drinking makes you have more friends.
Most of these ‘reasons’ are propagated by advertisers who want you to drink more and more. And sometimes our families and friends push these reasons too. These reasons are not good reasons to drink.
The perks of not drinking which I have discovered with joy are endless.
- No hangovers, ever. No more horrendous headache and 5 am sessions with the toilet bowl. Need I say more?
- You have more money at the end of the month.
- No more embarrassing moments you cannot remember.
- You no longer say, “what did I do last night?” and colour with shame when you are told what you did and realise you can’t remember a thing.
- You can exercise the following day and to your full potential.
- You save money on all those Ubers and late-night takeaways.
- You can experience life sober with clarity.
- Fewer cravings for alcohol and filling your glass as soon as it's empty or always having to think of and pack your alcohol wherever you decide to go.
- Its easier to be healthy and stay in shape when you aren't drinking empty calories.
- You get to bed on time and have a proper nights sleep.
- The world doesn’t spin out of control when you stop to go to bed.
- Your friends are genuine and not just drinking buddies.
- You are true to the real you and are fully aware of all the consequences of your actions.
- You never have to worry about being pulled over by the cops or having to take back routes to get home.
- The dinner bill at the end of the evening is about half if you had ordered alcohol.
- You aren’t dehydrated all the time or wake up in the middle of the night with an intense need to drink 5 litres of water.
- You have the whole of Saturdays and Sundays to do cool things like breakfast with friends, or run in the park and read books.
- Not drinking means realising how little you actually need to drink to have a good time and enjoy yourself and the sweet joy that comes with that realisation. You are so much more fun and entertaining than the drunk person you become after a few drinks.
- Not drinking and being around people who are drunk is like seeing things clearly after heavy rain. Everything is suddenly bright and clear. You don’t look cool when you drunk. You look sad. And vomiting is so not attractive.
- Drinking is not living. Not drinking is living.
- The perks are endless and the future wide and bright. What perks have you discovered?
I Thought Drinking Made Me Braver, I was Wrong
“When you are drunk, your understanding of your true self changes”- Malcolm Gladwell, Talking to Strangers